[Python Wpg] Python IDE

Stuart Williams stuartw at mts.net
Thu Jun 15 17:13:43 EDT 2006

> Subject: [Python Wpg] Python IDE

> Having seen last nights MUUG meeting where Steve showed off a JAVA
> IDE (Eclipse). I was wondering what other people are using for
> Python, if anything...

I use xemacs with python-mode and IPython.  I used to use teco (I'm
joking.  I did use teco, but never for Python).

Python comes with idle that works reasonably well and is neither
complex nor powerful.

For a Python class I investigated Eric and DrPython.  I found Eric too
complicated and settled on DrPython as being about the right level of
complexity for students.  I didn't want the complexity of the IDE to
take too much student or class attention.  However, the class was
postponed so I can comment on how wise my choice was.

Finally, there's Eclipse.  While Eclipse is written in Java, it's not
limited to editing Java.  It works with numerous languages (at least
two dozen under "Languages" at
http://www.eclipseplugincentral.com/Web_Links.html) including Python
via PyDEV (at http://pydev.sourceforge.net).

Stuart.