[XML-SIG] Re: Look what these folks are doing with XML

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:15:18 -0400 (EDT)

Lars Marius Garshol writes:
>Maybe there's something about this I just didn't understand, but to me
>it seems that they could have achieved the exact same thing with CORBA
>much more easily and the result would probably also have been more
>efficient in terms of both bandwidth and speed.

	If you already have an ORB, sure.  Writing an ORB isn't
trivial, though, and this provides RPC using two capabilities (XML and
HTTP) that most languages already have available; you could probably
implement this in a single medium-size Python module.

	What I'm not sure of is the reason why a text-based format
like XML would be preferable to a binary format such as Sun's RPC.
Why would <value>1</value> be better than '\000\000\000\001'?

A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
If I were meta-agnostic, I'd be confused over whether I'm agnostic or
not---but I'm not quite sure if I feel *that* way; hence I must be
meta-meta-agnostic (I guess).
	-- Douglas R. Hofstadter, _Gödel, Escher, Bach_