[XML-SIG] Re: XML RPC proposal: Why XML?

Dave Winer dave@scripting.com
Tue, 07 Apr 1998 07:16:14 -0700

Andrew, thanks for getting in touch!

We'll have a spec soon. This stuff is moving quickly and since we're
implementing as we go, there are brief outages as our focus moves around.
Should be a week at most before we have more details on the site.

In my opinion, the most important reason to use XML instead of a binary
format is readability. Our feeling was that the format would gain more
acceptance quickly if you didn't need special tools to discover the method
names, parameters and returned results. We learned, in our experience with
Macintosh interapplication communication that developers lose interest in
this stuff, or don't document their interfaces well enough. If the messages
themselves are in ASCII we stand a better chance of understanding how the
calls work. It's a low-tech tradeoff, easy to understand, and you burn a
few cycles on each call as the price for being understandable.

Further, once the bridges are working, we can optimize as necessary. We can
build a compatible network using XML encoding, bridge all the OSes,
environments and languages, and then optimize. But I strongly believe it
has to start simple if it's going to gain traction in the various communities.

And finally, thank you again for getting in touch. Setting up the
communication links between the communities is the next thing to do. The
Python world is a strong one that we respect and want to work with.

Dave Winer

PS: I've cc'd this to our Frontier-XML list. Perhaps we could get one
person from each of our lists to join the other so we can stay informed on
progress each of us is making?

PPS: I also really want to talk about interfaces between scripting
environments and scripting languages. We want to run Python in our world
but don't want to do source integration.