[XML-SIG] State of the world

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 17:01:15 -0400

> As for the Perl XML effort we are definitely ahead. What they have so
> far is an equivalent of PyXMLTok and a non-standard grove builder (ie:
> a DOM equivalent).

Yes, but note that their grove builder is written in C++ and has been
under development for quite a while. The C++ish of it could be important
for large documents because I would expect Python objects with many
attributes to be quite large compared to their C++ equivalents.

Actually, Python on Windows can use SP as a grovebuilder and grove
manager. If only COM worked on Unix! MS junk or not, COM is useful and I
wish some Unix programmer would make GNUCOM (but somehow I'm not holding
my breath).

"Perpetually obsolescing and thus losing all data and programs every 10
years (the current pattern) is no way to run an information economy or
a civilization." - Stewart Brand, founder of the Whole Earth Catalog
http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/10124.html