[XML-SIG] State of the world

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 17:08:05 -0400 (EDT)

Jack Jansen writes:
>I think this is all a bad idea. The "xml way" of doing things is to
>have a single object per file, and I see no reason why we shouldn't
>conform to that. After all, if you need multiple objects you can

That means that if you're sending XML data over a pipe, the reader
must reads the whole XML document first (perhaps using a prefix giving
its length), put it into a string or some file-like object, and then
parse it.  A bit clumsy, but if XML documents are commonly in files,
or in one-shot pipes that get closed immediately afterwards, it's not
something that will occur often.  It certainly wouldn't be very
difficult to write xml.marshal to use a marshalling object that
provides .open() and .close() calls.

What does everyone think?  Is the case of multiple XML documents in
the same input stream not worth worrying about?

A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.
	-- Tallulah Bankhead