[XML-SIG] saxlib 1.0beta

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:09:29 -0400 (EDT)

[Lars is still away from his account, so I'm forwarding this message.
 The software is at <http://www.python.org/sigs/xml-sig/files/>.]

I've made a saxlib 1.0 beta release to shadow the Java one.
I'm releasing the beta mainly for feedback on the translation,
where I've made the following changes:

  - added Parser.parseFile to read from a file-like object
  - InputSource is left out (until we have Unicode)
  - all drivers must have the function create_parser(), which
    is used by the ParserFactory
  - saxutils.py has a collection of utilities
  - saxexts.py contains extensions to SAX

The full release will include:

  - update of web page :-)
  - better xmlproc driver with DTD support
  - xml-toolkit and xmltok drivers
  - probably some more extensions
  - documentation
  - a non-validating driver for xmlproc (since it's faster)

The zip file follows the proposed directory structure and also
has a version of xmlproc in the right place so that one can
choose between it and xmllib and test the ParserFactory.

The original SAX version has a parser factory that uses the
Java property sax.parser to tell the factory which parser to
instantiate. What do people think of making saxlib use the
environment variable sax.parser for the same purpose?

--Lars M.