[XML-SIG] unicode package?

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Wed, 02 Dec 1998 13:35:06 -0800

Fred L. Drake wrote:

> Sean Mc Grath writes:
>  > I think it should just happen to come with the XML package.
>  > As Unicode support grows, we will see Unicode popping out
>  > of relational databases, bad HTML 4.0 and plain text
>  > files. IOW, lots of other Python modules will want to
>  > make use of it.
>
> Sean,
>   Since Python will eventually provide these facilities as part of the
> base installation, the support provided by/with the XML pacakge should
> only be at the "global" level if we're sure that the public interfaces
> to these things won't be significantly different.  There's no reason
> other packages can't use what we provide, but it needs to be clear
> that what's being provided is a stop-gap solution and may behave
> differently from what's eventually provided with Python.

I *very* strongly agree with Fred's position here and in his prior
email. We shouldn't mess around with trying to pretend something is
applicable generally until we're sure that it is right.

Here is a perfect case in point: the existence of _wstrop alone is not
right -- the final implementation should use Unicode object methods, not
external functions.

-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/