[XML-SIG] xml install problems

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:01:29 +0100

>Question about installing 1.5 on LINUX 5.0.  I am unable to install 1.5
>because LINUX is using Python 1.4 for some system support, including
>RPM.  Is there a safe method for installing 1.5?

Sure.  Quoting from the README file:

    All subdirectories created will have Python's version number in their
    name, e.g. the library modules are installed in
    "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/" by default.  The Python binary is
    installed as "python1.5" and a hard link named "python" is created.
    The only file not installed with a version number in its name is the
    manual page, installed as "/usr/local/man/man1/python.1" by default.

    If you have a previous installation of a pre-1.5 Python that you don't
    want to replace yet, use

    	make altinstall

    This installs the same set of files as "make install" except it
    doesn't create the hard link to "python1.5" named "python" and it
    doesn't install the manual page at all.

Dunno about RedHat 5.2; we're still on 4.2 over here.  But
http://www.redhat.com/product.phtml/RH5020 says it's
using Python 1.5.1.

Cheers /F
fredrik@pythonware.com