[XML-SIG] Parsers which include external parsed entities

Gabe Wachob gwachob@aimnet.com
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 23:05:27 -0800 (PST)

Are there any parsers out there which automatically include external
parsed entities?

I am building an app which has (to begin with) a list of items (urls) and
a categorization breakdown of those items. I'd like to keep the items in a
separate file from the categorizations and "glue" them together for
purposes of the application in a third file by including external parsed
entity references to those other xml files. I could parse them as separate
files, but thats not "pretty" (but it probably is more efficient ;-)

I've found that I have to pipe my xml files through SGMLNORM (which, ugh,
upcases all my tags) to get this effect.

Is there a technical reason why these parses DON'T automatically "include"
externally parsed entities when producing SAX or ESIS (and then DOM)
output? I know there is no requirement that the external entities be
parsed, but are there parsers (written in Python or other languages) that
you can force to include external parsed entities?

http://www.aimnet.com/~gwachob               http://www.findlaw.com
"A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of
acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or perhaps
both." -- James Madison
                       import std.disclaimer