[XML-SIG] XML 0.5 problems

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:48:25 +0100

> >   - Some people need patched versions; for example, the standard
> >     version does not work for AIX.
>
> 	What's the patch that's required for AIX?  And is there some
> reason it can't be rolled into the Makefile.pre.in for 1.5.2?

I don't know the system well enough to decide. The problem is that
shared library linking is a rather complicated process under AIX,
which is handled by two shell scripts. These shell scripts come with
the Python distribution (they are "ld_so_aix" and "makexp_aix") and
are ultimately installed in the "config" subdirectory of the Python
library. But during the compilation of the interpreter and its
standard library modules, they reside in the "Modules" subdirectory of
the Python distribution. The settings in the configuration reflect
this initial situation, not the one after installation. So if you
use the standard Makefile.pre.in, the two critical definitions becom

LINKCC=		$(srcdir)/makexp_aix python.exp "" $(LIBRARY); $(PURIFY) $(CC)
LDSHARED=	$(srcdir)/ld_so_aix $(CC)

whereas they should be

LINKCC=		$(LIBPL)/makexp_aix $(LIBPL)/python.exp "" $(LIBRARY); $(PURIFY) $(CC)
LDSHARED=	$(LIBPL)/ld_so_aix $(CC) -bI:$(LIBPL)/python.exp

I suppose this could be arranged during the installation process, but
I don't really want to figure out how that works!

> >     cd unicode; python test.py
> >     Traceback (innermost last):
> >       File "test.py", line 1, in ?
> >	 from xml.unicode import wstring
> >     ImportError: No module named unicode
>
> 	Are you getting this error after you've installed the package
> under site-packages?

Forget about this problem; I found out that I had a file xml.py
somewhere else on my PYTHONPATH. I have no idea where it comes from,
but deleting it didn't seem to have any negative effect. Sorry for
the false alarm!

Konrad.