[XML-SIG] Parsers which include external parsed entities

Gabe Wachob gwachob@aimnet.com
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:44:59 -0800 (PST)

On 15 Dec 1998, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Gabe Wachob
> |
> | Are there any parsers out there which automatically include external
> | parsed entities?
>
> xmlproc does, both in validating and well-formedness mode.

I'm having problems parsing this with all of the python xml parsers:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE top  [
	<!ENTITY linklist SYSTEM "links.xml">
	<!ENTITY classification SYSTEM "classification.xml">
]

<top>
	&linklist;
</top>

Is my brain mush? Whats wrong with this? I get no errors, but I also get
no DOM tree. Is this a problem with the XML here, the parser, or the DOM
builder? If I try to parse a more "vanilla" XML file, I get a DOM tree
just fine:

<top>
<head>
This is head text
</head>
This is body text
</top>

> | I've found that I have to pipe my xml files through SGMLNORM (which,
> | ugh, upcases all my tags) to get this effect.
>
> Why not use SX instead? That shouldn't have the same problem.

It does have the same problem (upcasing). XML is case sensitive, while
SGML is not -- SX assumes it the incoming data is SGML and therefore
ignores the case of the incoming element tags text. Is there an option for
SX to behave case sensitively? (as an aside, I wish they had named it
something besides SX, since the xmodem protocol handler also has a binary
named sx)

	-Gabe

http://www.aimnet.com/~gwachob               http://www.findlaw.com
"A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of
acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or perhaps
both." -- James Madison
                       import std.disclaimer