[XML-SIG] WDDX for Python

Gabe Wachob gwachob@aimnet.com
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 13:12:18 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Jeremy Allaire wrote:

> Gabe-
>
> This is awsome!  Lovin support for Python in the mix.  Is there anything we
> can do to help solve problems on the serialization side?

Well, I wonder aloud whether its possible (or worth attempting) to write a
serializer for arbitrary python objects. What is the approach taken in
other languages? I have not looked at much WDDX stuff besides the DTD..
(in fact, the first time I had ever looked at the WDDX stuff for more than
a minute was when I sat down to write the Deserializer).

Also, I'm not sure what sort of Python objects or data types would map to
a timeDate WDDX element.

I'm thinking that the best thing to do would be to create a WDDXCreator
object that would work on WDDXObjects (ie WDDXStruct, WDDXdateTime, etc).

I don't know -- looking at how other languages like Java do it would be
instructional..

> Also, you should
> drop a note to Nate Weiss (nweiss@icesinc.com) who is the creator of the SDK
> so he can include your bits and build some samples off of it.

Done

> Also, FYI, PCWeek just ran a story on WDDX:
>    http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/0,4153,380476,00.html

Nice.

I actually have no immediate use for WDDX, nor any past experience in it.
I've recently been getting into XML using Python and your message to
XML-SIG (the Python XML SIG list) was timed perfectly for a "Gee, that
looks like a cool thing to play around with" project... Turns out that
Python is such a cool language that it only took an hour or so to write...

	-Gabe