[XML-SIG] Recent CVS changes

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:59:57 -0800

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Ken MacLeod wrote:
> >
> > Another is LDO's XML serialization:
> >
> >   <http://www.ntlug.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/LDO/ldo-xml.dtd>
> >
> > The DTD itself has basic specs and I hope to complete more docs over
> > Christmas vacation.
>
> Can you people please explain why we need all of these competing
> proposals? XML-RPC looks like a superset of WDDX (in that it has a concept
> of "method"). It could be described as a superset of WDDX, couldn't it?
>
> LDO looks like a *subset* of WDDX except for the REF element type.
>
> Can't we all just get along?

Reality says "no"

I think we would be in error to create a new one, but since those others
are already out there, then (IMO) it is best if we can work with them.
Put politics and ideals aside -- pragmatism says "damn it, I need a
connector because I need to work with XYZ". It would be nice to keep
Python in the game here.

Cheers,
-g

--