[XML-SIG] SAX and namespaces

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@ifi.uio.no
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:09:03 +0200

David Megginson (the coordinator of the SAX development) has just
started a discussion on xml-dev on how SAX should support namespaces.
As far as I can guess (I'm not a W3C member or invited expert) this
effort has been started because the W3C considers namespaces more and
more important, and so they become more important for SAX as well.

However, it looks like the most likely changes to SAX will break the
most important of all SAX callbacks: the startElement method in
DocumentHandler, which may acquire a new first parameter.

Because of this I want to postpone the final release of saxlib until
this discussion has been settled (or until I discover that a SAX
change is still far off).

Also, it would be nice to hear how much pain this would cause for
those of you who use SAX, so that I know what to say on xml-dev.

--Lars M.