[XML-SIG] New release of xml package

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 10:36:27 -0400 (EDT)

I've put up a new version (0.2) of xml-package.tgz; it's at
	http://www.python.org/sigs/xml-sig/files/xml-package.tgz

Major change: "make install" now actually works, at least for me on
Linux.  It may well break on your machine; please let me know how it
goes for you.  It creates an 'xml' subdirectory under site-packages
and puts the .py files there; the *.so or *.sl files go into
site-packages, but not into the xml package.

Other notes:
	* What's the license on everything going to be?  Stefane's DOM
code is under LGPL; pyexpat is under Python's license; sgmlop is even
less restrictive.  Lars, what license are you using for your code?
I'd argue for Python-style, but LGPL would also be tolerable, I think.

	* Implementing "make install" was ugly; not difficult, but
ugly, since the top-level Makefile cd's into the pyexpat and sgmlop
subdirectories and re-runs make there.  I did it this way
to preserve the pyexpat and sgmlop subdirectories, making it easier to
drop in new versions of them.  But the added complexity may be a pain,
and it might be simpler to pull the C extensions up to the top-level
directory, requiring only a single Makefile.

	* We're going to have do a test suite at some point.

	* Still to do: more documentation and sample code.

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
It was easier to keep myself from becoming a success as an actor. Critics were