[XML-SIG] XML testing

John Mitchell johnm@magnet.com
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:35:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> One of the things I really want to have in the first beta is
> some sort of test suite; I expect that having it will help in shaking
> out numerous bugs across different parsers and drivers.
>
> The simplest test would be to have a little well-formed XML document,
> and try parsing it via SAX;  [...]

I'd rate as "essential" a test suite of negative cases.  That is, a
sequence that is known as *illegal*, and are flagged as such.  Silently
accepting bogus code leads to much hair loss...

The easiest test suite would just do a 'diff' of generated and known-good
output, I think this is what Python's suite does.  Comments?

- j