[XML-SIG] So where is UNICODE support?

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 11:02:38 -0500 (EST)

Henry S. Thompson writes:
>The THIRD message I got from the public about XED was as follows:
>
>>  I tried XED alpha version on Japanese-Windows95.
>>  But I colud not input Japanese-Code(Double Byte Character).
>>  Do you have schedule support Japanese-Code and XML-DTD ?
>
>So what's the story, folks?  The best way to really spike the perl/xml
>people's guns is to get 16-bit support out ASAP.

	There's been some discussion on the String-SIG
(string-sig@python.org) of how to implement fairly transparent Unicode
support, and a fairly detailed proposal, but no one has done a testbed
implementation yet. An implementation is needed to allow experimenting
with the proposal to see what breaks, what needs to be fixed, etc.
Follow-ups to the String-SIG, please.

A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
It begins to rain fish. Mackerel. Herring. Sea bass. Pike. Sturgeon. Tench.
Plaice. Salmon. From a clear sky. Trout. No cod.
	-- Father McGarry's last sight, in DOOM PATROL #20.