[XML-SIG] SAX revision and JPython progress

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 18:14:04 -0500

I've just posted my comments on this new SAX revision. My comments
basically come down to:

"Don't take out the enumerations! In the next version of JPython they
will be very naturally handled!"

and

"Don't introduce a dependency on java.io.InputStream. Non-java languages
don't have it and it isn't internationalized anyhow!"

This is as good a time as any for a progress report from me.

Integrating JPython and SAX is as easy as integrating JPython with any
other Java code (e.g. easy once you find your way around python paths,
class paths and packages). I've written a small example applet (which
becomes big once all of the required files are sucked in) but I won't
release it while SAX and JPython are still up in the air. Once JPython
supports enumeration mappng automatically and the SAX API allows me to
read input from a textarea (i.e. not a URL!) I'll make it into a very
(very!) simple editable tree view.

JPython is shaping up to be a really wonderful XML processing system. It
isn't perfect yet, though. There are three problems from my point of

 * start up time
 * difficulty of finding packages
 * error reporting

I know Jim is doing everything he can to solve these. Error reporting is
probably not too hard, but I think that the nature of the JVM makes the
other two tricky.

The United Nations Declaration of Human Rights will be 50 years old on
December 10, 1998. These are your fundamental rights:
http://www.udhr.org/history/default.htm