[XML-SIG] Re: saxlib 1.0beta

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Thu, 07 May 1998 07:25:49 -0400

>         OK.  To handle this, you could override the handle_doctype()
> method, so saxlib's drv_xmllib could do that.  On the other hand,
> if it's required for conformance, perhaps this behaviour should be
> added to xmllib.py, so that simple uses of xmllib are still as
> conformant as possible.  Opinions?

Okay, I'm just going to come out and be a jerk: I only think we should
continue to add stuff to xmllib if we can justify its superiority over
xmlproc. I would much rather add an sgmllib-like driver for xmlproc and
then optimize the hell out of a *single* XML processor rather than having
two in wide usage. xmllib was a simple tokenizer to get us off of the
ground, but xmlproc seems more scalable (e.g. to DTD information,
entities, etc.)

For some future Python upgrade, we should also consider deprecating the
sgmllib interface in favour of the SAX interface for the same reasons that
we would deprecate a socket interface that was too divergent from that
used in other languages.

"Perpetually obsolescing and thus losing all data and programs every 10
years (the current pattern) is no way to run an information economy or
a civilization." - Stewart Brand, founder of the Whole Earth Catalog
http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/10124.html