[XML-SIG] Re: saxlib 1.0beta

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Thu, 7 May 1998 11:01:22 -0400 (EDT)

Lars Marius Garshol writes:
>> I would much rather add an sgmllib-like driver for xmlproc
>SAX, rather, to get access to PyExpat as well.

	This reminds me of something else.  DOM is going to need to
use the various drv_ files as well in order to support various
parsers.  It seems redundant to write code for making SAX work with
Expat, and then have to write code for DOM via Expat.  (DOM can't just
sit on top of SAX because level 1 SAX doesn't provide an interface for
comments along, so you lose comments when you go through SAX.  This is
bad for DOM-using applications that modify XML documents.)  Sharing
drivers would also let both SAX and DOM use an ESIS driver, or
anything else that gets written.

	Therefore, should the xml.sax.drivers package be moved up a
level, to xml.drivers?

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
The young man's mother had died bringing him into the world; she gave him