[XML-SIG] Re: saxlib 1.0beta

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@step.de
Fri, 08 May 1998 12:57:42 +0200

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> It's an incremental parser written in C, which calls various "handle"
> methods on a provided Python instance.  Works pretty much like
> strop; if you have the module, sgmllib/xmllib will run much faster.
> The module is small (the current Win32 DLL is 7680 bytes) and
> pretty fast.

Great! Just a pity we didn't hear of it before, since it seems to do
pretty much the same as pyexpat.

However, I have one request: can you make it so that it's easy to tell
which *mllib is loaded? This is because the SAX ParserFactory will
prefer xmllib if it's the C version, but xmlproc if it's the Python
version.

> Don't have any data yet on the "DOM" stuff (and writing this makes
> me realize that I should probably change things so that sgmlop can
> talk directly to the tree builder...  if I could only find the
> time...)

Hmmm. The future of Python and XML suddenly looked a lot brighter.
Let's hope you find some time soon.

--Lars M.