[XML-SIG] [Q] Namespace

Tamito Kajiyama kajiyama@etl.go.jp
Sun, 22 Nov 98 07:46:14 JST

Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ifi.uio.no> writes:

| A namespace is just a URI used to distinguish a set of names from all
| other names, globally.

I see.

| Of course, in our minds there is usually an association between the
| namespace and a schema/DTD, but the parser knows nothing of this.

What I want to do is some experiments about RDF.  In an RDF instance,
RDF schemas are specified using namespace.  So, I'm writing an RDF
parser that, for each namespace declaration, retrieves the RDF file
specified by the URI, parses it, and constructs an internal
representation of the RDF schema for further validation.  Is this good
practice?  It seems that my parser knows something about namespace...

| In fact, validation as defined in XML 1.0 does not work with
| namespaces, which is a point against them. A prefixed element is
| invalid if it was not declared with the prefix...

Hmm, it's surprising.  What will happen to XML 1.0 when the namespace
specification becomes a W3C recommendation?

Thank you,

--
KAJIYAMA, Tamito <kajiyama@etl.go.jp>