[XML-SIG] XBEL: bookmark title

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 13:24:00 -0400 (EDT)

  I'm not attaching another copy of the DTD, but I'd like to make the
<title> element optional within <bookmark>; for many resources (such
as FTP directories), there really isn't a real title, so software
should have the option of omitting it.  It should still be o.k. to
generate a title, but an omitted title should also be acceptable.  The
<bookmark> "href" can be used as a stand-in if needed.  For some URIs,
it may make sense for software that displays bookmarks to generate a
title on-the-fly anyway.  In particular, for a URN scheme like ietf:,
a generic title could be generated in the local language.  For
example:  href="ietf:rfc:822" could get a generated title of "Internet
Request for Comments 822" for English users.  Other URN schemes may
also provide ways of looking up language-specific titles.
  Software which provides title-retrieval on an as-appropriate basis
could also be configured to use retrieval instead of using the
provided title, so if anyone has a problem with making the title
optional, I can probably live with it.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>
1895 Preston White Dr.	    Reston, VA  20191