[XML-SIG] DOM: Multiple proxy problem

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 23:26:54 -0400 (EDT)

Greg Stein writes:
 > I think it is reasonable to assume that if an application is interested in
 > the details of white space and comments, then it can directly use a parser
 > rather than DOM. I'd posit that most applications that are interested in the
 > XML structure/content are interested in DOM but not in the whitespace (and

  Frankly, what I want is to be able to address the tree structure at
the application level and update things I need to, but otherwise not
affecting the rest of the document instance.  Given the general need
to be able to handle well-formed XML in a non-destructive manner, I'd
like to be able to write out the modified instance with the fewest
possible changes; I'd really like "diff" output between the original
and edited files to be minimal.
  Perhaps I'm looking for something unreasonable?  I'd hope not, or
I'll end up editing my bookmarks files by hand.  ;-(  I really don't
think I'm looking for too much (note that I haven't asked anyone to
implement this for me).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>
1895 Preston White Dr.	    Reston, VA  20191