[XML-SIG] DOM and xmlproc problem

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
10 Oct 1998 17:04:47 -0000

> I don't know much about the various XML parsers but I think I have found a
> circular reference in at least one.  When I call the following code...
>      p = saxexts.make_parser()
>      p = None
> ..the object pointed to by 'p' does not get freed.

I've checked in a fix for this; p.parser had some
references to some methods of p.  I added code to the parser's .close() method which deleted those
attributes, so everything's fine as long as you're
sure to call p.close() when you've finished
parsing.  We'll document that as being required.

> The DOM tree doesn't get freed because the parser points to the builder via
> "doc_handler", the builder points to the document and to the
> current_element which also points to the document.

I can't seem to reproduce this.  Note that what you describe isn't really a cycle; it looks like
parser -> builder  -> currentelement -> document
          builder  ->                   document

-- amk

-----
See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/xml-sig/?start=434