[XML-SIG] T-shirts

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:50:29 -0400 (EDT)

Sean Mc Grath writes:
>	"Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs" (Nicklaus Wirth)
>	"Python + XML = Programs" (Andrew Kuchling)

	Problem: I never said that.  :)

	That does spark a thought, though; poking through the
Python-quotes file, "PYTHON = (P)rogrammers (Y)earning (T)o
(H)omestead (O)ur (N)oosphere." from one of your old .sigs is pretty
good, though not XML-specific.  The two XML-related quotes from Paul
Prescod aren't really suitable and they're too long for T-shirts,
anyway.

	Here's an idea derived from the XML/SGML use of the word
"element".  (I vaguely recall someone proposing this at IPC7; anyone
remember who?)  The design looks like a corner of the periodic table
of the elements.  The columns, instead of being titled "Group III", "Group
VIII", etc. are labeled with various DTDs and standards; the elements
in each column are then various element names from that DTD.  In the
middle is a large 2x2 square with a big red "Py" in it; below it we
might put regular-sized boxes with "Jv", "Pl", "Tcl", in them.
Something like:

XML	HTML			MathML	...
---	----	----
		+-----------+
Dtd	Em	|Py	    |	Cn
                |	    |
Wfc	H1	+           +	Fn
                |	    |
Pi	Cite	+-----------+	Eq

...		Jv	Pl

		Tcl

We can argue about *which* DTDs and element names later...  If the
design is 8 inches wide, then each column is 1.6 inches wide, which is
hopefully large enough to make it readable.  That's important; for
example, the IBM shirt isn't really readable because the design is
only about 10 cm across; those FSF shirts that include the whole
preamble to the GPL on the back suffer from the same illegibility.

Well, there are these two people here, Sir. The man says he drank wine with
you somewhere called Babylon, and the lady... she's making little frogs.
    -- The receptionist, in SANDMAN #43: "Brief Lives:3"