[XML-SIG] DOM API

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:58:13 -0500

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com wrote:

> No.  We removed that restriction several versions ago.  You can just
> use the "make orbless" configuration to run without an ORB.

Neat. And presumably after I do a "make orbless" I can ship the resulting
package so that it doesn't have to be re-made on the client side. Maybe
you guys should make that the default so that it works like other
Python-written DOMs that do not have to be configured.

> Yes, but some Pythonish features would be quite a bear to get by an IDL
> compiler, and it's nice being able to (theoretically) just plug into any
> Java/C++/etc. module across the ORB without first adding a trickly "Pythonic"
> adapter.  This adapter would also have to be re-written for each remote
> implementation.

This is the central issue. Why would it have to be rewritten for each
remote implementation? Presumably we expect all CORBA/DOM compliant
implementations to supply the same interface. Can't we wrap that interface
so that the same wrappers should work for all of them.

I mean I know that some things like document creation and parsing are
non-standard but we should be able to uniformly wrap the rest.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"The Excursion [Sport Utility Vehicle] is so large that it will come
equipped with adjustable pedals to fit smaller drivers and sensor
devices that warn the driver when he or she is about to back into a
Toyota or some other object." -- Dallas Morning News