[XML-SIG] qp API

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 16:01:02 -0400 (EDT)

Fred L. Drake writes:
>  I'd like to see the parent pointer kept, but I'm also fine with an
>explicit destroy() or close() method instead of those damnable
>proxies.

	What problems do the proxies present?  It would be possible to
remove them and use an explicit destroy() if they present technical
problems of their own.

>  I haven't actually needed sibling pointers, so I'm not sure I care
>about them.  They can be computed easily enough if someone wants the
>data on an "occaisional" basis.

	If you have parent and child pointers, you don't need sibling
pointers since you just go up to the parent & retrieve its children.

	I haven't really formed an opinion about the Minidom module.
On the one hand, I don't like adding an interface that resembles
another interface; too many similar choices can be confusing.  (But if
PyDOM is upward-compatible with Minidom, that may not be a problem.)
On the other hand, PyDOM *is* quite heavyweight, and I can understand
the desire for something similar.  Can people please give their
opinions about this?

	(I do like the convenience functions like DOMFromString;
something similar should definitely be added, perhaps to dom.utils.)

I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life
fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell,
I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.
    -- Isaac Asimov 1920-1992 RIP