[XML-SIG] DOM API

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 10:31:17 -0600

I've stayed out of the "justify the DOM" argument because I'm not really
interested in it.  I like the DOM, I find it powerful and useful, and I use it
in many places.  I can't help it if others feel the contrary, and I'm not in
the mood for an emacs/vi, gnome/kde type debate.  However, I am particularly
puzzled by a couple of comments.

> I believe that the notion of build/generate via the DOM is bogus. It
> seems you agree :-), and that print or file.write is more appropriate.
> Fredrik has some utility objects to do it. All fine. The DOM just blows
> :-)

Build/generate is explicitly outside the scope of the present DOM, so I don't
see how the latter conclusion follows from the first sentence.

> I could care less about compatibility. I'm trying to write an
> application here. Geez... using your viewpoint: if I wanted
> compatibility, then maybe I should use Java or C since everybody else
> uses that.

It's important to note that many of us _are_ successful building applications
based on the DOM, and I agree with Paul that the DOM's extraordinary success
is ample proof against the DOM's being broken for practical use.  For example,
at FourThought, we've had cause to evaluate commercial Databases with DOM
support, and the answer is increasingly "all of them".  Now one thing I'll say
in my observation of DB vendors: one or two of them always adopt the latest
fad, but you never find such large-scale adoption of a technology in the
glacial DB world unless there is real merit.

And I say the above even keeping in mind my disappointment with the slow
adoption of ODMG/OQL.

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants