[XML-SIG] Py-ish PySax Suggestion #2

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 23:56:19 -0600

> I would like to suggest that we copy the *mllib start_foo convention for
> PySAX. Here's what a HandlerBase.StartElement would look like for that:
>
>         def startElement( self, tagname, attrs ):
>                 method = getattr( self, "start_"+tagname, None)
>                 if method:
>                         method( attrs )
>                 else:
>                         self.startUnknownElement( tagname, attrs )
>
>         def endElement( self, tagname, attrs ):
>                 method = getattr( self, "end_"+tagname, None)
>                 if method:
>                         method()
>                 else:
>                         self.startUnknownElement( tagname )
>

> def startUnknownElement( self, tagname, attrs ):
>         pass
>
> def endUnknownElement( self, tagname ):
>         pass

I don't have a big problem with this, but I'll bet it gives fits to those
about these parts who are very concerned with every last bit of run-time speed.

And indeed, since this is so easily achieved under the current PySAX, is there
really a need to enforce the meta-programming?

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants