[XML-SIG] XQL: Somebody working on it?

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:09:49 -0500

Lutz.Ehrlich@EMBL-Heidelberg.de wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> as I didn't find anything in the recent CVS source for the xml
> package, I wondered whether somebody is currently working on
> implementing XQL (http://metalab.unc.edu/xql/) ? Before I start doing
> anything myself, I would like to hear your opinion about such a
> thing. Would implementation be a big thing? Have you guys discussed
> implementing any of the query language proposals already?

XSL implicitly depends on a query language. It isn't defined separately
from XSL but it is defined in the XSL specification. That query language
actually has W3C standadization status and is needed for the Python XSL
implementation that is under development.

XQL is sort of like that language -- but not quite, and not standardized.
I think that before XQL becomes any kind of standard it would have to be
aligned with XSL's query language. Therefore you can choose yourself
whether you want to implement it in the meantime or not. It all depends on
whether you want to work on something that will likely be obsolete in a
year or not....in the XML world a year is a lifetime so maybe that's a
good tradeoff.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"Microsoft spokesman Ian Hatton admits that the Linux system would have
performed better had it been tuned."
"Future press releases on the issue will clearly state that the research