[XML-SIG] CVS tree reorganized

A.M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:04:20 -0400

I've completed the rearrangement of the XML-SIG's CVS tree, though
there are still some things left to tidy up.  (For example, some test
suite failures haven't yet been looked into.)

The goal was to clean out the root directory of the distribution, and
simplify the installation process.  The important points are:

    * You now want to use the '-P' option to CVS to prune empty
directories; otherwise, you'll get lots of obsolete directories that
are all empty.

    * Python modules that need to be installed are now in the
'xml' subdirectory; for example, the 'dom', 'arch', and 'sax'
subdirectories have all moved down into 'xml'.  Python files that
don't get installed, like those in 'demo' and 'test', are still where
they were.

    * C extensions are now in the 'extensions' subdirectory.

    * Binaries for Windows and MacOS should go in the 'windows' and
 'mac' directories.

    * Installation has been changed to follow the procedures set by
the Distutils-SIG.  An end user will run a Python script, setup.py.
It can be given one of three arguments: 'build', 'test', and
'install'.  (Note that it doesn't actually use any Distutils code, but
simply tries to present a similar user interface.)

      The 'build' target will create a subdirectory named 'build', and
copy the 'xml/' subdirectory into 'build', and will then copy compiled
C extensions into build/ at the proper locations.  On Unix it will
also compile the C extensions; on Windows and Mac, it should copy
binary files like DLLs and PYDs into the build/ subdirectory.
(Volunteers to implement that are needed.)  'install' is then a simple
matter of copying the build/xml/ tree to the installation location.

      The point of the setup.py scheme is to simplify installation on
compilerless systems because the build process is reduced to some file
copying.  However, we need someone to write the relevant copying bits
for Windows and Mac, because I'm not sure what's legal.

      In any case, I'm sure there are inadvertent breakages from this
change; please try out the CVS tree and report problems.

    -- Anonymous