[XML-SIG] PyDOM performance

Mike Olson Mike.Olson@FourThought.com
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 13:49:32 -0500

Out of curiosity I did a quick benchmark on the file you referenced and I was
rather suprised by the results.

Both tests where on a Celeron 366/ 128MB running linux.  Neither test performed
XML validation as I did not have a DTD.

4DOM was made with the orbless option and used the Ext.Builder.FromXmlFile
method.  the 4DOM version was from our cvstree which will be available by weeks
end.

Non validating 4DOM
Start:  935605414.575
End:  935605415.11
Delta:  0.535288095474

pydom is version 0.5.1 from the RPMs and used the utils.FileReader()

Non validating pydom
Start:  935605415.148
End:  935605418.212
Delta:  3.0643119812

I was quite suprised by this.  I don't know enough about the pydom internals to
explain why it is slower.  I just always assumed it was faster.

We will still be looking to speed up 4DOM with the C implementation of the trees.

Later
Mike