[XML-SIG] Re: Developer's Day

Randall Hopper aa8vb@yahoo.com
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:27:50 -0500

Fredrik Lundh:
 |Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net> wrote:
 |> > one could say the same (or even more so) for the GUI,
 |> > but that hasn't exactly helped...
 |>
 |> GUI is a special case because there are no standards there.
 |
 |oh, there are standards.  Motif is one, for example.
 |didn't help.  people are still building new stuff on the
 |fundamental components (xlib, win32 gdi, etc), just
 |like people will keep on building new XML stuff on
 |top of simple XML tokenizers (xmllib, expat, sgmlop).

Fredrik, generally I agree with what you have to say.  But this is way out
there.  So what's your point?  Don't need standard APIs like DOM or SAX
since you can theoretically do all your parsing with the Python specific
xmllib?

Motif helped and continues to.  Consider industry (we're not just talking
Linux world money-is-no-object development here).  No, it wasn't a magic
bullet -- neither are DOM or SAX for that matter.  But standard APIs help
encourage cross-platform and cross-language support and promote developer
skills portability.

 |> xmllib is not, as far as I know, a legal XML processor and it certainly
 |> does not support "modern" advances like tree processing, validation,
 |> defaulted attributes, XML namespaces or SAX. So it isn't legal and it
 |> isn't modern.

 |"isn't legal"?

 |now that's an interesting case of XML snobbery...

Admitted, "isn't standards compliant" might have been a more specific
choice of words.  But I think we knew what he meant.

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@yahoo.com