[XML-SIG] Future plans

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:42:23 -0600

"Andrew M. Kuchling" wrote:

>      * I propose dropping the wstrop and xmlarch code from the CVS
>        tree: wstrop because Python 1.6 will have built-in Unicode
>        support of some strip, and xmlarch because architectual forms
>        are fairly rarely used, and don't need to be in the core.

Find with me.

>      * What about namespace support in SAX -- what's the status of SAX2?

Under active discussion. Should be done in a matter of weeks or months.

>      * The DOM needs more work.  I've fixed the braindamaged __getattr__
>        that was terribly slow; building a DOM tree of "The Winter's
>        Tale" now takes around 25 seconds, not 80.  (4DOM takes around
>        12 seconds for the same job.)

I s there any virtue in embedding C code in Python 1.6 to build a C DOM
that can be used by qp_xml, 4DOM and PyDOM (if they all survive).
Obviously the object building would be much faster but the proxying
might kill the performance gains.

>        I worry about 4DOM requiring you to do ReleaseNode() in order
>        to break cycles, envisioning tricky bugs where you forget to
>        release a node and end up leaking memory, or where you release
>        too soon.

Isn't there a way to build a proxy system *on top of* 4DOM that calls
ReleaseNode when appropriate. Then users can use the slow interface or
reach down and get at the fast node objects if they are willing to take
the responsibility to ReleaseNode() when they are done.

The occasional act of disrespect for the American flag creates but a
flickering insult to the values of democracy -- unless it provokes
America into limiting the freedoms that are its hallmark.
           -- Paul Tash, executive editor of the St. Petersburg Times