[XML-SIG] Future plans

Ken MacLeod ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us
20 Dec 1999 16:09:11 -0600

"Andrew M. Kuchling" <akuchlin@mems-exchange.org> writes:

> Ken MacLeod writes:
>
> >I would be very interested in collaborating with someone on
> >building a C-based library that supports proxying and can be easily
> >embedded into multiple languages or used directly in C/C++.
>
> What about Xerces (xml.apache.org)?  The Web page says "A Perl
> wrapper is provided for the C++ version of Xerces, which allows
> access to a fully validating DOM XML parser from Perl," which
> implies that a wrapped version of the library is usable from a
> scripting language.  I've never looked at the Xerces code; anyone
> have any experience with it?

I'd like to find or build a library that is not DOM-based at the
bottom, something that could easily support either or both a grove and
DOM interface on top of it.  The library should also be usable for
data sets that have been transformed from XML into application objects
(i.e. non-XML objects).

Now that I'm writing another message and thinking about it more it
occurred to me, ``OK, what is the difference between these new objects
and existing Python objects?''  I recall now that the answer was given
earlier in the CORBA and getters/setters thread: Python needs a
specialized (and optimized) version of __getattr__ and __setattr__
that can handle generated properties as well as data validation.  I
don't recall who proposed that (the thread was too long to look for it
again), I guess I'm buying into helping implement that ;-)

This library, then, should have an object implementation that can tell
when it needs to call a getter/setter or can just present the
underlying field directly.  This library should also optimize the
"parent" proxy implementation as well.

--
  Ken MacLeod
  ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us