[XML-SIG] Future plans

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 09:19:09 -0700

> Uche Ogbuji:

> > I'll be straightforward: I haven't heard of any other serious use of 4DOM
> > besides our internal uses.  I know of several small-scale, and incidental
> > cases, but nothing more.  This could be because of 4DOM's youth, because it
> > changes so often, because DOM is so inevitable unpythonic, or because it is of
> > poor quality.  Whatever the reason, I don't expect that you'll hear from a
> > large chorus of major 4DOM users.

Paul Prescod:

> In my case it is because:
>
>  * I got PyDOM "for free" with the rest of the XML-SIG's package
>  * Historically, PyDOM has been much easier to install.
>  * I have had no need for PyDOM's extra features.
>  * I actually use groves more than the DOM.

Well, this is good to know.  Note that 4DOM is now almost as easy to install
as PyDOM (just untar/unzip to your PYTHONPATH both 4Suite-base and 4DOM),
although you have already noted the platform-bias of 4XSLT and 4XPath, which
we expect to address in a few weeks by distributing Windows binaries.

Other than that, your reasons are, I expect, typical (besides the groves
part).  If 4DOM does become the core Python DOM I expect its use to increase
quite a bit.

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants