[XML-SIG] Groves

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 08:41:15 -0700

> uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com wrote:

> > Have you considered adding a few paragraphs on inheritance (in the pu=
re sense,
> > and not funked by C++'s confusions) to your groves short tutorial?  W=
e use a
> > lot of data-polymorphism in our designs and we've had a hard time fig=
uring out
> > how to model that in the grove view.
> =

> Currently the grove view is flat. Groves have no data modelling
> capabilities that do not directly relate to addressing. In my humble
> opinion someone should probably take the best ideas from groves and put=

> them on top of a richer data modelling language like RDF schemas or OMG=

> object definition language. There are too many ways to spell "integer"
> and "attribute" in the world.

Thanks.  Unfortunately, this probably puts practical use of the pure grov=
e =

model on hold for us.  We are actually working heavily with RDF in a curr=
ent =

project, using internal Python/RDF tools that the Python community will =

probably see soon in OSS form, and we'll probably continue to use RDF =

directly.  I shall continue to study the grove model, however, as a means=
 of =

thinking as clearly as possible about data.

-- =

Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants
uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com	(970)481-0805
Software engineering, project management, Intranets and Extranets
http://FourThought.com		http://OpenTechnology.org