[XML-SIG] Future plans

Mike Olson Mike.Olson@Fourthought.com
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 09:40:59 -0700

--------------A74FA3AA85BC826B449A3891

Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Paul Prescod writes:
>  > Dieter, is there any chance that your work could turn into a Python
>  > parser for XPaths that could be used in place of the 4thought one?
> My parser is based on Scott Hassan's (mailto:hassan@cs.stanford.edu)
> PyBison package. This package has an unknown copying policy.
>
> Some analysis would be necessary to determine whether the 4Thought parser
> can be replaced with this one. Following suggestions in this list,
> my parser uses a factory to create XPath objects as result of
> parsing.

this is how 4XPath works as well.  If your factory could be modified to
return 4XPath parser objects then I don't think we will have a problem.  One
note though, there is more parsing done in 4XSLT namely patterns, that are
not covered in the XPath spec.  To remove all traces of C from the Ft tools,
we would need to expand your parser to handle patterns as well.  though
these are trivial if you can parse XPath.

when I get a moment, I will look through your code again.  It sounds like it
will be possible to support multiple parsers though.

> Replacing the factory should allow to adapt it
> easily to a different framework. Thus, in principle, it
> should be possible. The factory, of cause, ties together parser
> and framework. Changes in the framework are likely to call
> for changes in the factory placing a burden on the maintainer.
> I will take this burden only if the pure 4Thought
> solution will not work in my environments (privately: Linux 2;
> at work: Solaris, Windows and (fading out) Macs).
>
> As told in a previous post, I do not yet have experience with
> the 5Thought packages.

cool, another thought :)

Mike

> - Dieter

Mike Olson
Consultant Member FourThought LLC
http://www.fourthought.com http://www.opentechnology.com
720-304-0152

--------------A74FA3AA85BC826B449A3891

Dieter Maurer wrote:
a Python
one?
this is how 4XPath works as well.&nbsp; If your factory could be modified
to return 4XPath parser objects then I don't think we will have a problem.&nbsp;
One note though, there is more parsing done in 4XSLT namely patterns, that
are not covered in the XPath spec.&nbsp; To remove all traces of C from
the Ft tools, we would need to expand your parser to handle patterns as
well.&nbsp; though these are trivial if you can parse XPath.
like it will be possible to support multiple parsers though.
cool, another thought :)

<pre>--&nbsp;
Mike Olson
Consultant Member FourThought LLC