[XML-SIG] SQL -> XML ?

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 16:21:49 -0700

> > There has been a good deal of discussion in the
> > XML-DEV list about such matters, and I haven't
> > read any useful solutions to the basic impedance
> > mis-match between tabular and tree-based
> > structure.  Maybe as the DB manufacturers rush
> > to swallow XML whole, they'll come up with
> > something clever, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
> >
> > I don't think there is much for it but the
> > brute-force method.
>
> Would you consider the grove paradigm a
> "brute-force" method?  It seems to me to answer
> the impedance-mismatch problem, here.  It also
> seems to me much too elegant to be describable as
> "brute-force".

I know what groves are from a basic data-structure POV, and I've read posts by
Paul Prescod on groves in XML-DEV, but I must say that I am not at all
familiar with the grove spec for SGML/XML.

But you have certainly piqued my interest enough that I shall take a look at
the URLs you provided in another message.

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants