[XML-SIG] Functional interface to XML?

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 17:45:44 -0600

Mike Olson wrote:

> We are currently working on an XSL processor that sits ontop of 4DOM which
> inturn sites ontop of sax.  It does not fire events in the sax fashion,
> but will return a DOM tree of formatting objects, when given a XML DOM
> tree with xml-stylesheet processing instructions.

This is very exciting. Let me ask two questions, however.

First, why not generate SAX events and then use your existing DOM builder
to make the formatting object tree. That way you would be able to daisy
chain XSL filters and other filters.

Second, is the API such that some of the facilities are useful from
Python? For instance can you easily look up nodes given a pattern, or do
an XSL pattern-based "visit" of a node tree?

I'm not sure if it is clear what I am getting at. XSL processing could be
regarded as a special case of "pattern-based tree visiting." That might
allow us to use an XSL visitor pattern in ordinary Python code.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

If you spend any time administering Windows NT, you're far too familiar
with the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) which displays the cause of the
crash and gives some information about the state of the system when
it crashed.  -- "Microsoft Developer Network Magazine"