[XML-SIG] SAX prettyprinter V2 and SGMLOP

Christian Tismer tismer@appliedbiometrics.com
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:34:12 +0100

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> >A general question (comes up because I had to hack my Indenter
> >especially for sgmlop):
> >Is a SAX parser required to report ignorableWHitespace events?
> >Or is it also allowed to never call this method, as sgmlop does?
> >If so, then the interface doesn't make too much sense since I have
> >to collect all data and handle whitespace when the next tag appears.
>
> If I understand things correctly, sgmlop cannot figure
> out what's ignorable and not; you need to have access
> to the DTD to handle that.

Well, I understand. Lars also mentioned that without a
DTD and a parser which understands it, this event is useless.

> Our internal xml libraries allows the user to indicate
> whether a resource is "xml text" or "xml data".  the
> latter doesn't allow elements to contain both text
> and other elements, which means that it's easy to
> figure out what to ignore.

That sounds good, this is exactly what we need to distinguish,
too. How do you indicate this without a DTD?
A list of tags which are treated as raw data? (kind of a
sub-sub-DTD?)

ciao - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>