[XML-SIG] Big Bug? (was:Pretty-printing DOM trees)

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:25:26 -0600

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> The error is reported properly as it is and the attribute is not
> repaired, but subsequent data events are wrong. That's now fixed (data
> events, not the attribute), but the question remains whether the
> parser should follow the XML recommendation and stop reporting data
> events after a well-formedness bug.
>
> I'm inclined to make that default behaviour, but behaviour it is
> possible to turn off. Opinions are welcome.

I think that optional error recovery is a good idea. There are legitimate
uses for it and also the potential for serious abuse. If I ever used an
XML editor that refused to load half of a document because of missing
quotes I would dump it Pretty Damn Quick.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"You have the wrong number."
"Eh? Isn't that the Odeon?"
"No, this is the Great Theater of Life. Admission is free, but the
taxation is mortal. You come when you can, and leave when you must. The
show is continuous. Good-night." -- Robertson Davies, "The Cunning Man"