[XML-SIG] Bug or Delusion

John Eikenberry jae@kavi.com
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:10:08 -0800 (PST)

On 26 Jan 1999, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> | And run the xvcmd over a test xml document. I get these errors:
> |
> | xmysql.xml:4:10: Document root element 'package' does not match declared
> | root element
>
> This means that you have
>
> <!DOCTYPE something-other-than-package
>
> in your document.

Cool. I thought you just needed this in the dtd. I'd been spending all my
time trying to figure out the other problem. I hopefully would have
figured this out after looking at the top of an xbel document. :)

> Not really, this is the systems way of reporting that your document is
> not well-formed. All XML attributes _must_ have a value if they are
> present in the start tag.
>
> The XML grammar shows this clearly:
>
> <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#NT-Attribute>

Thanks for the clarification Lars. I guess I just assumed that you could
reproduce html in xml, and therefor (assumed) there had to be a way to
have a valueless attribute.

Thanks again,

---

John Eikenberry