[XML-SIG] RE: [Zope] - XML-style DTML code

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:23:32 -0500

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 05:01:23PM +0100, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> However, not knowing Zope I don't think this is fatal if Zope
> substitutes this before any XML/HTML parsers see the result. If you're
> trying to use XML/HTML/SGML syntax for a preprocessor then maybe that
> isn't the way to go.

Currently, and I can't speak for the future of this, but currently, Zope
is designed to parse DTML (the current syntax, using comments) into pure
raw HTML, and nothing else... it's not intended to go to XML/SGML, and
quite honestly, I don't think it would be a good fit for that.  What it
is, quite honestly, is a tiny little scripting ability (like PHP), not a
full blown mark-up language.  I believe PHP also uses <?php ?> as it's
syntax, and I've not seen any huge explosions of fire from that one.

Chris