[XML-SIG] RE: [Zope] - XML-style DTML code

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:34:12 -0600

"Fred L. Drake" wrote:
>   In neither SGML nor XML can markup be nested like this.  The use of
> entities is the proper way to do this in either case.  Perhaps a
> processing tool needs to be available which can perform "entity
> expansion" for specified entity names only?

I discussed this a couple of months ago on the Zope list. I suggested that
they use XSL template syntax. It's more verbose but it separates the
levels more cleanly. The syntax for doing attributes would look something
like this:

   <xsl:attribute name="size">6</xsl:attribute>
   blah blah blah

The Zope equivalent would be:

   <zope:attribute name="size">6</zope:attribute>
   blah blah blah

IMHO, the current Zope syntax cannot survive into the "XML age." People
will want to author their templates in XML editors and Zope's illegal
syntax will prevent this.

Don't you know that the smart bombs are so clever, they only kill
bad people."
	- http://www.boingo.com/lyrics/WarAgain.html