[XML-SIG] Re: RSS and stuff

Dan Libby danda@netscape.com
Wed, 02 Jun 1999 18:04:22 -0700

--------------630938801F57E97C1046FD98

Walter, thanks for the code example.

> And let's try to avoid using seconds-since-the-epoch in external
> formats. We're just now doing the Y2K thing, so I don't think it
> is a good idea to use formats that fall apart in 2037.

I thought it was 2038.  ;-)   Seems like we should all be using long longs by then -
greater than 32 bits anyway, so I'm not sure it is such a big problem.  Anyway, the
nice thing about the integer is that they are guaranteed accurate to the second. With
ISO 8601, the receiver needs to round (nearest day, hour, minute, second).  Besides,
if unix breaks then, people are gonna have bigger worries than RSS displaying 1970.

> Here is what it takes to convert a Unix timestamp to ISO 8601:
>
> def make_date(timeint):
>     return time.strftime('%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%SZ',time.gmtime(timeint))

Right, but my thinking is that it is easier for people if we just support it natively
than if they have to figure out how to do that in their sed script or whatever.

--------------630938801F57E97C1046FD98

begin:vcard
n:Libby;Dan
x-mozilla-html:TRUE