[XML-SIG] 2 Qs: encoding & entities with xmlproc

Dan Libby danda@netscape.com
Tue, 08 Jun 1999 13:55:44 -0700

--------------581B652EDB59D0C2E09B5BB5

> | Sorry, I'm not sure what this means.  What is the internal subset?
>
> Here's an example:
>
> <!DOCTYPE rdf:RDF PUBLIC "..." "..." [
>   <!-- The line above references the external subset, while what
>        appears between the [ and the ]> is the internal subset -->
>
>   <!ELEMENT channel (fiskepudding, kumle, lakrisbåter)>
> ]>
>
> <rdf:RDF>
>   <channel>
>     <fiskepudding>Vondt!</fiskepudding>
>     <kumle>OK!</kumle>
>     <lakrisbåter>Godt!</lakrisbåter>
>   </channel>

> </rdf:RDF>
>

> xmlproc and all other validating parsers would let this pass with no
> complaints at all. I suppose you may not want that.

Oh, I see.  Yeah, I wondered what would happen in that case.  You're right
that we wouldn't want it, however I have a secondary pseudo-schema checker
that would not allow the unknown tags, so its not really a problem for
us.  Further, since "channel" was already defined in the external dtd,
shouldn't that generate an error, or does the parser just override it with
the internal subset definition?

> Oh, and BTW, can I list My Netscape on the xmlproc page as xmlproc
> users? (I'm sure you're desperate for the extra hits. :)

Sure; it's not actually in production yet, but I'm certainly using it. ;-)

-dan

--------------581B652EDB59D0C2E09B5BB5

begin:vcard
n:Libby;Dan