[XML-SIG] While we're on the subject of xmlproc, DTDs and validation ...

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Wed, 09 Jun 1999 11:27:42 +0000

"Thomas B. Passin" wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote
>
> > ..Allow applications to provide DTDs for documents that don't
>     have them (e.g. xml-rpc marchals).
>
> Yes, I think this can be very useful.  But if you reverse-engineer a DTD from any existing document, there is no unique solution.

That's not what I'm thinking of.  My application might require data that follows a DTD,
but I might not require incoming data to include the DTD (or even a reference to it).

There are XML formats (e.g. XML-RPC) around that are precisely defined, but not
with a DTD. I can come up with a DTD for them and validate conforming data that,
of course, doesn't include or reference a DTD.

Also, by separating DTD parsing from validation, there could be a way
of using schema data in other formats (e.g. RSS schema?), as long as
the other formats could be parsed into the same data structures that
DTD's get parsed to.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.