[XML-SIG] 2 Qs: encoding & entities with xmlproc

Dan Libby danda@netscape.com
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:27:59 -0700

--------------0956DD3E644C13D7D92EBF9B

Okay, stupid mistake. I have code in EntityResolver that maps a network
address to a local address.  When I moved it out of doctype into an
entity, I forgot about that, so it was really pointing at nothing.  It
works now.  One thing puzzles me though: the comment in EntityResolver
indicates that resolveEntity will be called to resolve all external
entities. Instead, I only see it called for the !DOCTYPE tag, not
entities in the internal or external subsets.

Also, that error message could use some work, "file not found" is easier
to understand. ;-)

I don't see any CVS tag in dtdparser.py, but the one in xmlproc.py is:
$Id: xmlproc.py,v 1.7 1999/02/10 01:46:03 amk Exp $

-dan

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Dan Libby
> |
> | Yeah, but how?  I tried the following with xmlproc:
> |
> | <?xml version="1.0"?>
> | <!DOCTYPE test SYSTEM "http://myhost/ver-1.0.dtd" [
> | <!ENTITY % otherdtd SYSTEM "http://myhost/other.dtd">
> | %otherdtd;
> | ]>
> |
> | This always gives me the error:
> | Illegal construct at 5:3
>
> This works perfectly for me with the following two files:
>
> <!DOCTYPE test [
>   <!ENTITY % ext SYSTEM "test2.dtd">
>   %ext;
> ]>
>
> <root>
> </root>
>
> and in test2.dtd:
>
> <!ELEMENT root (#PCDATA)>
>
> This works for me with both the xmlproc in my CVS tree and the one in
> the XML-SIG CVS tree (which is 0.61), with both validating and
> non-validating parsing.  Which version do you have?  (Give me the CVS
> ID tag in dtdparser.py to be 100% sure that it's right.)
>
> --Lars M.

--------------0956DD3E644C13D7D92EBF9B

begin:vcard
n:Libby;Dan